2021 OAOS Annual Conference Educational Objectives
Treatment of Complex Post Traumatic Elbow Instability | Robert Ablove, MD
Comprehensive guide to evaluation and treatment of complex post-traumatic elbow instability.
- Learn specific injuries associated with elbow dislocations and associated fractures.
- Understand Pre-operative planning.
- Develop Surgical Treatment Algorithm.
The History of Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty and Pearls about Glenoid Exposure | Robert Ablove, MD
A comprehensive history of the development of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty followed by a few helpful hints on how to do one.
- Understand why and how reverse total shoulder arthroplasties were developed.
- Gain improved understanding of glenoid exposure.
What Type of Block Should I Use for Total Shoulder Arthroplasty? | Matthew Budge, MD
A discussion of the merits of a variety of perioperative pain management options for TSA including: interscalene nerve blocks with and without long-acting medication, local infiltration of aesthetic, and catheter nerve blocks including cost, efficacy of pain relief, and complications associated with their use.
- Understand the difference between interscalene nerve blocks with bupivacaine versus blocks with liposomal bupivacaine.
- Understand the time course of onset of the various types of pain blockade for total shoulder arthroplasty.
- Understand the costs associated with each type of nerve block.
Obesity & Elective TJA | Anna Cohen-Rosenblum, MD
Discuss risks, ethical considerations, and treatment options for obese patients undergoing elective hip and knee arthroplasty.
- Identify obesity as an independent risk factor for complications after TJA.
- Examine pros and cons of TJA in obese patients.
- Review optimization strategies.
AAOS 2021 Update | Daniel K. Guy, MD
Provide current state of Academy and ongoing programs and initiatives.
- Attendees will be updated on AAOS quality, advocacy, membership, leadership and educational opportunities.
AAOS Annual Meeting 2021 | Daniel K. Guy, MD
Share this year’s President’s speech along with highlights of Your Academy and the San Diego meeting.
- Attendees will learn about the highlights of the AAOS annual meeting, how attending can benefit their practice and how to get more involved with AAOS.
AAOS Resident Curriculum | Daniel K. Guy, MD
Highlight of the new resident curriculum.
- Attendees will learn about the need for uniform resident curriculum, compare uniform curriculum to existing curriculum and outline opportunities afforded with the new digital platform.
Leadership Lessons from the Pandemic | Claudette Lajam, MD
This discussion of one surgeon’s experiences before, during, and after the COVID Pandemic at the New York epicentre delves into topics of leadership, resilience, crisis management, change management, and career development.
- Improve understanding of crisis management and business continuity.
- Encourage personal reflection about career-life balance.
- Improve understanding of physician mental health topics.
Payment, Policy, and Practice: The Evolution and Impact of Medicare Reimbursement for Total Joint Arthroplasty | Claudette Lajam, MD
A comprehensive review of Medicare payment history, economics, policy, and current state for total joint arthroplasty reimbursements. Discussion of future directions and how surgeons can influence policy.
- Improve understanding of history of Medicare and payments for total joint replacement.
- Improve understanding of regulatory process for health care.
- Encourage engagement by surgeons to influence policy.
Modern Technology in TKA: Handheld Accelerometer-based Navigation, Robotics, and Augmented Reality | Claudette Lajam, MD
This course discusses principles and pearls for use of various technologies, with a focus on handheld navigation during total knee arthroplasty. Includes case-based discussion.
- Improve understanding of factors for success in TKA.
- Improve understanding of types of surgical navigation tools.
- Improve understanding of cost-benefits of adding technology to TKA practice.
Fashion and Trends of Management of ACL Injuries | C. Benjamin Ma, MD
The presentation will include the latest technique and concept on the management of ACL injuries. Specifically, we will talk about the benefit of lateral tenodesis, the differences in graft types and the risk of arthritis following ACL Injuries.
- Understand the relationship between postoperative kinetics and development of post traumatic arthritis.
- Understand the outcomes following ACL repair and augmentation.
- Understand the significant of lateral tenodesis on the outcomes following ACL reconstructions.
- Learn to identify the risk factors of developing post traumatic arthritis following ACL injuries.
Rotator Cuff Injuries | C. Benjamin Ma, MD
This course will discuss the evolution and new treatment of management of rotator cuff injuries.
- Learn about the prognostic factor of rotator cuff repairs
- Latest technique and research on rotator cuff injuries
- Management of failed cuff repairs, replacement and salvage operations
Talent Development in HCPs: Resilience, Grit & Agility | Samir Mehta, MD
This talk will explore the science describing knowledge acquisition, principles of adult learning, and practical application of techniques to improve grit and resiliency in the workplace.
- Review principles of deliberate practice.
- Explore opportunities to improve team dynamics.
- Assess characteristics that will amplify resiliency and grit.
Management of Bone Loss in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty | Michael Ries, MD
This presentation includes a description of the causes of bone loss which can occur after total hip arthroplasty (THA), evolution of reconstruction techniques which have been used over the past 30 years, and current clinical results of revision THA.
- Understand the causes of bone loss that can lead to failure after THA.
- Understand the classification of acetabular and femoral bone loss.
- Become familiar with surgical approaches and treatment options to treat bone loss in revision THA.
Causes and Management of Instability after Total Knee Arthroplasty | Michael Ries, MD
This presentation includes a description of the anatomical differences between the normal and replaced knee, which may contribute to altered kinematics and instability after total knee arthroplasty (TKA), treatment options, and results of revision TKA for instability.
- Understand the similarities and differences in kinematics of the normal and replaced knee.
- Understand the methods used to balance flexion and extension gaps during surgery and methods used to balance ligament tension.
- Become familiar with implant constraint options in revision TKA, and indications and results of revision TKA for instability.
Osseointegration and Bone Transport: Advances in Limb Amputation-Reconstruction | Stephen Wallace, MD
This lecture reviews modern advances in Limb Amputation-Reconstruction including the status of osseointegration in the United States as well as Limb Salvage techniques such as bone transport.
- Define osseointegration and describe its evolution.
- Detail the benefits of osseointegration versus traditional socket type prostheses.
- Characterize the various methods of bone transport used for limb salvage.
Hidden Deformity: Bowlegs, Knock Knees and Tetratorsional Malalignment | Stephen Wallace, MD
This lecture reviews lower extremity deformities in adolescents and adults, details physical exam pearls, and describes interdisciplinary treatment strategies.
- Define congenital lower extremities deformities including bowlegs, knock knees, and tetratorsional malalignment
- Describe the long term implications of these deformities
- Detail the interdisciplinary treatment strategies
Digital Orthopaedics: Social Media, Multimedia and Your Orthopaedic Practice | Nancy Yen Shipley, MD
Social media has become a vital part of visibility and contact with the general public, your patients and your colleagues. Learn about different social media platforms and how to best utilize them for your goals as a surgeon. Introducing other forms of multimedia, including video and audio formats (i.e. podcasts) to enhance your practice.
- Understand fundamentals and future of social media as an adjunct in orthopaedics.
- Learn about different social and multimedia platforms.
- Learn strategies for utilizing digital orthopaedics to engage with patients, colleagues and general public.